Pages

Saturday, January 5, 2008

Harry Truman


Talking about books, I have been reading several really good ones. One of them I have been reading since August, it is a big baby though! And I don't want to finish it :) David McCullough's Truman. Its about the life of President Harry Truman. One of the things I love about him is that he was just an ordinary man. He had principles and a desire to serve his country..... but he had never intended to become President ( He was the president following Franklin Delano Roosevelt's death) in fact he was FDR's vice president. I can't tell the whole story of how he became president, but I realize how much he went through and how strong he was through it all. They were in the middle of World War II and just coming out of the great depression when FDR died......Truman hadn't been briefed about anything. It is an inspiring story and I recommend it highly. 

5 comments:

Davene said...

This sounds really interesting!

I realized this past year how much I LOVE biographies!!! It's so amazing to read about real people's lives...definitely more inspiring than reading fiction (although I still love fiction, too). :)

Lisa said...

I am a biography fanatic! You are the second person who has recommended this book...I'll be reading it next for sure. Right now I'm finishing up Laura Bush by Ronald Kessler.

Elizabeth said...

Thanks for you interest girls :) I do warn you that there is a liberal amount of bad language. I don't know how you all feel about that, but I just wanted you to be pre warned before you attempted it =).

Jonathan said...

I have to read it next. I have been meaning to get a copy from Ben, but I won't venture until I finish the current ones.

Marie said...

maybe you can lend the book to me when your finished!! Hint hint hint????